- Invest in the highest quality lock you can afford. I recommend heavy-duty U-locks and heavy-gauge chains.
- Always lock your bike to a secure, fixed object.
- Only lock your bike in a well-lit, well-traveled area.
- Don't lock up someplace a thief will know you are gone for a while -- yoga, movie theatre, etc
- If possible, lock your bike indoors.
- Avoid using quick-release skewers on wheels and seatpost. Replace with security bolts and/or locking skewers.
- See locking techniques below from SF Bicycle Coalition and Kryptonite